1.26.2009

purpose driven

Besides quiting the TV habit I know I have to start becoming more intentional.


One of things that I have learned during my time at MOPS is that being a good mother/wife/ homemaker/friend/person doesn't just come.... it comes with hard work and practice. And the foundation of that work is being intentional. Intentional in my speech, actions and thoughts.

What is it that I am really trying to say... what is my purpose on the task at hand... how do I want to be as a wife and mom and friend...


Being aware of your reality and how you operate in it and how you effect it and are effected by it takes some practice. You have to ask yourself what kind of person do you want to be... what do you want to accomplish... how do you want to live your life and what types of relationships do you want to participate in.... if your actions don't line up with your intentions then you need to change your actions.

I know it sounds simple, but living that type of intentional life is proving (for me at least) to be quite hard. Because it starts when you wake up and you make your first decision, it's there when you utter your first word to your spouse or child, it remains when you plan out your day, when you decide to cook or eat out, to clean or do laundry, to write that note to your friend, to call your family etc etc... It matters in your work life too.... it all matters....

The point is not to be bogged down with the minutiae of detail, but to cultivate the habit of mindfulness, intentionality, purpose... so that the choices you make (without even needing to think about them) aid you in your life's goals, they lift you up to the person that you are striving to be.

For me, this is going to be like starting from scratch... from the beginning... to retrain myself out of all my old ways... and yet still hold on to who I really am....I don't really have a framework for this... but I know it will come... I am going to start slow and small.... (as Annie says) folding each ingredient in to my bread and knowing when to leave the dough be to watch it rise.

1 comment:

Lisa (the girls' moma) said...

I love this! I too have been trying to be more mindful of my life, and if I lack anything it's discipline. So mindfulness is a habit or lifestyle I try to be mindful about. Ha! But does that make sense? I hear you.

And girl, your comment made me laugh so hard! You're right... log, log, log!