6.11.2008

watch out

okay - I am going to let you all know right up front that I am going to be judgemental here in this post.... just so you know, that I know.

Walking out into my garage this afternoon I was greeted with a BIG black dog standing there in the shade looking at me... yes IN my garage (the door was up from earlier). He startled me and then I recognized him. He seemed to recognize me too. His name is Luke.... I looked out on the front lawn and there was his sister Taska.... panting away in the hot mid-day Texas sun.

I opened up the back of my mini van and asked them to jump in... they tried and I had to kinda lift their butts up a bit to help. They are VERY overweight.

I grabbed the kiddos and threw them in the car too and we headed off down our street. A half mile away from us, the houses get very fancy... I mean really fancy and the house where Taska and Luke live is no exception. It has its own horse ranch, private pool, party patio, pool house with living accommodations yard, multiple driveways and the inside is huge too...(I know because I have been inside).

This is the umpteenth time that I have found Luke and Taska hanging around my house, or running in the street and I have had to return them home. Mason has done it a bunch of times too, so have Megan's parents next door. They keep getting out of their back gate. It doesn't lock properly and so the dogs can nose at it until it opens and then they get free. Which they do.

I remember the first time I found them at my house ...4 years ago. I called the number on the tag. No one answered. I kept the dogs in the back yard until later that evening the nanny called and came to pick them up.

We figured out where they lived on our walks. They are outside dogs all the way and no matter what time we are out, so are they. Ever since we found out where they live we don't call. We just put them back in their run and lock the gate.

This time, however, I was PISSED OFF. I thought - What is wrong with these people? What is their problem? Why don't they care about their dogs? Their nails are neglectfully long and they are morbidly obese (due to free feeding I imagine). They have a nanny.... why not hire a dog walker.... why not PAY SOMEONE TO FIX THAT DAMN GATE!

I parked the car in their front driveway and rang the door bell. I was going to have some words with these people once and for all. I waited I rang and I knocked... nothing. I tried the front door and it was unlocked. (by the way, the size of these doors are GINORMOUS)

"Hello" I yelled into the house... or at least the front vestibule (which is the size of my living room). No answer "Hello? Is anybody home?" I was actually yelling at this point because I heard a tv going. Finally a girl came into view, she looked about 12/13ish. I asked if her parents were home, "Um... I think my mom is at the store..." she answered. "I have your dogs, where do you want them?" "I'll just take them inside" "Inside?" I sounded too surprised "They are inside dogs?" "Sometimes..." she replied.

As I drove away I was so angry at these people. Who obviously had enough money to take proper care of themselves AND their animals... but for whatever reason decided not to. I mean, how hard is it to fix the gate, or provide the dogs with a proper run with shade.

Next time Luke and Taska find their way here... I am keeping them for a while.... just enough to make their owners sweat.... Not that I am totally convinced that they would.... but the idea of them suffering a bit for their animals makes me feel better.

2 comments:

AMANDA said...

We lost Ruby back in 2001. It was horrible. I had no idea what had happened to her and we searched for two days. (Long, horrible story... friends in AL were watching her while we were on vacation). When we finally found her, we were SO grateful to the people who had found her and cared for her.
There have been many times over the years that I have picked up a loose dog. I just cannot bare the thought of someone feeling the way we did when Ruby was missing. It surprises the crap out of me how many people are so "matter of fact" when you bring their pet back to them. There have been many occasions where the owners cannot even muster up a 'thank you'. I just don't get it!

Good for you for being a good human being!

Anonymous said...

Can't Believe you know Luke & Tosca! I made the mnistake of feeding them once, so everytime they got out, they came to see me. I kid you not, I returned them no less than a dozen times.

Incidentally, next time you return them tak ea look at the giant pillars outside their front door- STYROFOAM, my dear girl. :) It put things in perspective for me.