12.27.2007

Remembering



My friend Anne shared with me her tradition of adopting an angel off of the Salvation Army tree each Christmas. She chooses a child with the same sex and age as her children "would have been". She lost her son to stillbirth about a month after I lost William.


I thought it was a wonderful idea. So this year while I was at the mall and walked by the tree... I stopped and read some of the angel cards. I quickly found one that matched William. I brought the card over and they assigned me this little boy.
Besides his age and sizes, I knew nothing else about the child. I read the list.... He needed a winter coat, shoes, pants shirts and pajamas. I stood there staring at the card.... trying to picture him - what he looked like what kind of personality he had, my heart broke and I stared crying. For my son, for the mother of this boy who couldn't clothe her own child. I couldn't imagine what that family must go through (not only at Christmas) but everyday just to survive.
Once the water works subsided I really enjoyed picking out all the stuff for "my angel". JC Penny was having a sale and I made out like a bandit. A coat, pants, t-shirts shorts, sweatpants, and the cutest jammies I could find... plus a brand new pair of Lightening McQueen sneakers!
I cried again when I dropped off all the stuff. I think next year I will bring Braden... I think he will understand it more and I will (hopefully) be less emotional. The lady running the tree thought I was NUTS!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

*great BIG hugs*

YOU are the angel to THAT child- they don't always have wings, you know...

I'm so proud to call you "friend"...

Anonymous said...

My mother-in-law always adopted two children and put her kids in charge of buying the stuff for them. We adopted an angel this year for the first time and it was awesome. It's a great way to really celebrate Christmas!