8.08.2007

Jiminy - they ain't

Every summer they come. Swarms ( and yes people I mean swarms) of black noisy crickets descend upon Abilene.

Now, I know that some of you out there are going to be quick to point out that I am Abilene bashing again. I assure you I am not. But if you feel like its too much... don't read the rest of the post.

I haven't lived everywhere in the world. But I have lived in few different places, a majority of them have been warm climates. The warmer the climate the more critters you will encounter.

I lived in Texas once before. It was then that I learned exactly how big "Texas size bugs " really are...by the way... they're friggen HUGE!

So I thought that I was adequately prepared for Abilene. Until our first summer here in 2005, and my first experience with the cricket invasion.

I don't know where they come from or why they think Abilene (either wet or dry) is the best place for them. But all of a sudden one day they appear. Hopping through your living room, chirping in your bath drain and huddling in the corners of your garage. Its not just homes either. Got to any store and look in the entrance way (walmart petsmart stienmart) and you will see them... hoards of them half alive, half squished...ugh!

Now I normally I am a live and let live kind of a gal. But as of the summer in 2005 there are three insects that I refuse to live with. Fire ants, wasps and CRICKETS. You don't realize how loud those suckers are until one is chirping away in your closet at 3am. I have almost perfected the art of narrowing in on a crickets location in the house. Standing perfectly still, my ears straining to discern from which corner the chip is originating. I come armed with my spray gun of death. No hour is too late, no cricket is too small.

And then, like a bad dream they will disappear...poof! Until next summer...

6 comments:

Unknown said...

I remember...don't miss those. Cheyenne may be the place for you-I guess with the elevation the bugs don't seem to come much. Just a few. Don't worry we still have ants, but none in the house. Maggie is fascinated by ants....
Hope all is well!
Martha

WillW said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
WillW said...

Ugh. Nothing stinks like a elevator shaft full of dead crickets. The last few years haven't even been bad...
---
Will (who didn't mean to delete his previous comment :) )

Anonymous said...

Preach it, sister!! :)

I've been telling my fellow arachnaphobes back home in Georgia that Abilene is the promised land because the spiders - while big! - are few and far between.

You'd think a Georgia girl would be happy with the constant singing of the crickets. Not so much.

They're even scaring the cat. Sheesh!

Anonymous said...

This had me laughing out loud. I got this mental picture of you in your nighty with a can of "Cricket DEETh", homing in on the little suckers... *lol*

The crickets I can take...it's the grasshoppers that drive me bananas!

Lisa (the girls' moma) said...

They're bad in Dallas, too. When I was in college I dormed with several hundred at any one time. I remember finding cricket legs in my shoes on a regular basis.

Who knew that when crickets die their legs fall off?

I SO wish I didn't know that.