8.02.2007

I bought a Mattress....

To clarify, I bought the mattress with Mason's money for Braden.

He is getting big. Too big in fact for his toddler bed anymore.

So I went mattress hunting.

Currently he has an organic crib mattress in a toddler bed frame. For the past few weeks I have been trying to figure out what kind of bed to get him. Bunk? Full? Twin? Trundle? Loft? A Twin over a Full bunk? Twin over Twin? Full over Full? Twin over Futon? Way to many choices.

We have no idea what size our next house will be. Will the boys be in separate rooms or together? How fast will Braden grow and how easily will he destroy anything we buy him?

Every night this week when Mason would get back from work I would force him to listen to my laundry list of ideas regarding all the various choices. Finally he said "just by a twin for now, I'll build a frame then when we move we will re-asses."

PERFECT! I knew there was a reasonI loved him so much.

Damn, not perfect. Now I have to choose a mattress. Firm, extra firm, pillow top, euro pillow top, serta, sealy...the list goes on.

Then late last night I stumbled back to the site where I had purchased the crib mattresses.

And read:Organic mattresses and organic bedding are very important for your health and the health of your children. Virtually all commercially available mattresses made today are filled with petroleum based foam and then soaked in a pound or more of fire retardant chemicals. These mattresses out-gas formaldehyde as they age, which is a known carcinogen. Fire retardants, made of chemicals called PDBEs, build up in our bodies like the banned PCBs and have been associated with neurological damage and cancer. PDBE fire retardants have already been banned in Europe, but unfortunately not in North America. Organic mattresses are the only way to protect yourself from 8 hours of exposure to these dangerous chemicals every night.

Long story short... late last night I shelled out A LOT of money for an organic mattress... just the mattress, mind you, since we still haven't figured out what kind of bed to get him.

Hopefully once its all in place it will help B sleep better! That, my friend is priceless!

2 comments:

Natasha said...

Hey girl,

We're still saving for 4 organic mattresses--Arg! I like the new look and Braden's painting. Who's the quote at the top?

Peace,
Me

Anonymous said...

I hope he sleeps like a rock for ya. ;)

*hugs*

N