3.09.2007

Post Offce

Yesterday I was in the post office waiting in line. That is what you spend most of your time doing at the Abilene post office... waiting. There is always a line - no matter what time of day it is or how many clerks are at the counter...

So, I am standing there waiting in line and a poster catches my eye. It is an advertisement for stamps - the new ones - with pictures and stuff. There was the wedding stamp, the breast cancer stamp, blah blah blah. Then there was the Ella Fitzgerald stamp... but it was listed as Black Heritage. Then right next to it was another 'person' stamp. I forget who the person was now, but it was a white guy. And its title was Celebrating....

It had never been so obvious to me before... in our attempt to try and right the wrongs of the past we were still separating our races. I thought, why couldn't Ella's stamp just said Celebrating. Why can't we have white and black history mixed together. Why do we have a special month for them, but yet no other race. How about Mexican Heritage Month or Asian or European Heritage month.

I felt sad, standing there.... it seems like we still have so far to go....

No comments: