12.19.2008

compliment

I visited with my friend Dava Lynn on Sunday and she complimented me on my hair. In fact I have received so many compliments about my hair that I am starting to believe some of them.

I blew off the first few compliments as niceties... I mean really, I totally chopped off all my hair... what were my friends going to say... "it looks like crap?" :-)

But when strangers and other people randomly started to say things I started to changed my tune.

I confessed to Dava Lynn that although everyone tells me that "I can pull it off" and I LOVE how easy, efficient, functional and mildly funky it is.... I still am not sure if I like it.... I admitted that I don't really feel feminine with the short hair.

Well, it is probably the combination of the hair, my clothes, my glasses.... etc.... but it is mainly the hair. I just feel kinda butch (not that there is anything wrong with that).... but....

I started to wonder WHY I felt this way.... Did I view others with short hair as less feminine... no.... but I do think I view women with long hair as MORE.... and I am not sure if that is a society placed idea or what..... I guess I am a little embarrassed... I thought I was more evolved than that... and I wonder too if I will ever really get over feeling a bit... off....

1 comment:

AMANDA said...

I had my hair short for awhile... I totally get where you are coming from. I didn't take "offense" to it, but the question that most bothered me was "Are you in the AF?" As if the only reason I could cut my hair was tide to a job. As much as I loved how easy it was, I eventually let it grow back out. I still think about cutting it all the time. Maybe one of these days....
BTW... You look totally awesome!