12.31.2007

What are you doing....

Tonight... movie watching, cookie monster making and eating and apparently some blogging.

New Year's Eve has always been big for me. I guess it comes from the fact that I have a math nerd for a dad. The concept of one year ending and one beginning, and having an exact moment to "be in" was super exciting.

Obviously as a kid I didn't realize that others were celebrating the new year at 23 other times around me... that was not important.

One of my first NYE memories is of me and my cousin Jay staying up late so that we could jump up in 1985 and land in 1986. We stood on tall kitchen stools and as NYC counted down to one(on the TV) we JUMPED and landed in the new year. It just didn't get any better than that for me.

I knew a boy once ... his real name is Michael Martin.... we all called him Mickey. His birthday was on December 31st. I can remember several years late in High school early college celebrating with friends including Mickey.... I wonder what he is doing tonight?

Since Mason and I have been married with KIDS... we tend not to do anything big since our anniversary is only a few days after, plus my birthday a few weeks after that.

Sad to say... one tradition that I grew up with has seem to have bitten the dust. For about 10 years I RELIGIOUSLY watched the MTV TOP 100 Video countdown - which lead up to - the MTV New Year's Eve party/bash/show.

Starting in the New Millennium (btw - does anyone remember No Doubt singing the REM song at midnight?) they changed the format of the whole thing. Less music, more talking - they wouldn't even show the WHOLE video for all the videos... just clips.
This year I looked and they didn't even have the countdown :-(

I am SO OLD! Nevertheless ... I have some great memories of NYE... some really crappy ones too. But one thing is for sure... I can't wait until the boys are old enough to understand the hubbub because WATCH OUT! I am getting out the stools!

No comments: