1.21.2007

Stork Bites and Angel Kisses

I noticed today that Tristan has a birthmark on his arm. Which isn't to say that it was there yesterday... I would have noticed. At first I thought it was just an odd shadow being cast while he was sleeping in his crib, but after his nap on the changing table in full light BAMM there it was a new birthmark. He has one other on his back. They are almost identical. Light brown and oval. I wanted to know more so....... everyone say it with me " I looked it up" and this is what I found.

A birthmark is a blemish on the skin formed before birth. They are part of the group of skin lesions known as naevi. The cause of birthmarks is unknown, but may include cellular damage due to radiation or chemicals. Some types seem to run in families.
In Italian and Middle Eastern cultures they're called voglie in Italian or wiham in Arabic, both of which translate to "wishes," because according to
folklore, they are caused by unsatisfied wishes of the mother during pregnancy. For example, if a pregnant woman does not satisfy a sudden wish or craving for strawberries, it's said that the infant might bear a strawberry mark.

Tristan has a Café au lait spot.

Cafe-au-lait spots (CAL) are pigmented birthmarks. The name café au lait is French for "coffee with milk" and refers to their light-brown color.

No comments: